Fix Wireless issues in Windows 10
If you can’t get email, open sharefolders, browse the web, or stream music, chances are you’re not connected to your network and can’t get onto the internet. To fix the problem, here are some quick things you can try.
Things to try first
- Make sure Wi‑Fi is turned on. Select the "No internet connection" icon No Internet connection on the right side of the taskbar, and make sure Wi-Fi is turned on. If it isn't, select it to turn it on. Also, make sure Airplane mode is turned off.
- Afterwards, see if a Wi-Fi network you recognize and trust appears in the list of networks. If it does, select the Wi-Fi network, and they try to connect to it. If it says Connected underneath the network name, select Disconnect, wait a moment, and then select Connect again.
- Try connecting to a network on a different frequency band. Many consumer Wi-Fi routers broadcast at two different network frequency bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. These will appear as separate networks in the list of available Wi-Fi networks. If your list of available Wi-Fi networks includes both a 2.4 GHz network and a 5 GHz network, try connecting to the other network. To learn more about the differences between 2.4 GHz networks and 5 GHz networks, check out Wi-Fi problems and your home layout.
- Make sure the physical Wi‑Fi switch on your laptop is turned on. (An indicator light usually shows when it's on.)
Reset network connection settings
If the above steps dont resolve the issue, you can try resetting your network connection settings to see if this fixes the issue. Below are the steps to take:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type cmd and press Ctrl, Shift and Enter at the same time to run Command Prompt as administrator. You’ll be prompted for permission. Click Yes to open Command Prompt.
- In Command Prompt, type the following commands in in the below order:
netsh winsock reset then press enter
netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
ipconfig /release and press Enter.
ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
Focus on your business, while we take care of your computer repairs